Thursday, January 5, 2012

Interesting Arrival...

We arrived at the airport to head back to California fairly early because we didn’t know what Friday traffic would be like through downtown Seattle. Our flight was supposed to leave at 8:20PM and we got to the airport around 6. When we were checking our bags, the attendant told us our flight was 2 hours delayed. My mind was going to a very ugly place….10 o’clock flight, arrival at midnight and home after 12:30 with 2 kids who don’t sleep in regardless of when they go to bed, 6:30 wake up at the latest. She recommended we fly standby on the 6:50 flight (it was 6:20 at this point), but she wasn’t sure our bags would make it. We raced out of there to get through security and Ryan was lagging behind, so I told him we would meet him at the gate. Just as I was rounding the corner, I heard, stand-by party of 4, WADE, so I ran to the counter, but Ryan had the tickets (it is 6:40) she needed. So, I went out and was flagging him down and he was just walking as slow as could be, not paying any attention. He finally got there and we walked right on. He was so confused, asking me why we were boarding so early…it was only 5:40. A nice gentleman corrected him, letting him know it was 6:40! We got the last 2 sets of seats together and had a nice surprise when we arrived in Oakland…I have never been so happy to see our bags :o). Only God could have pulled that together for us!!!
The next morning Ainsley woke us up bright and early at 4 a.m. (she is going through something right now and we are very tired and unsure how to fix her fear) and I smelled burning paper. Ryan explored, but we assumed it was coming from outside. When we got up that morning, it was pretty cold, the thermostat said 63 and the heat had been on for hours. The furnace was toast and it was a holiday weekend. Someone finally made it out on Sunday, but couldn’t fix it without parts. The kids didn’t seem to notice, but we were freezing. The house was down to 58 on Monday and we went over to the Wiliams to get warm. I’m glad it was pretty warm outside, otherwise, it would have been really painful.
Our sleep situation didn’t get better for me because on Sat. night I heard a critter under our bed. Ainsley and Ryan were snoring, so it was hard for me to tell if I was hearing things, but once you’ve heard a little mouse, it is pretty unmistakable. Ryan had just cleaned Panda’s cage, so I was hoping he got out somehow. When I got out of bed and looked, his cage door was open and he was nowhere to be found. I shut all the doors in our bedroom and put some food in a bowl to entice him. I laid patiently and finally, after about 15 minutes, he knocked over the bowl. I jumped out of bed, but could tell he was heading back under, so I grabbed Ryan’s leg and told him not to move or talk and proceeded to tell him that Panda was right next to the bed and to reach down and grab him. It was too late, he got away. It wasn’t too much longer before he came out again and Ryan snatched him up. An hour and a half later, I was finally back to sleep.
Monday night was great, we had heat, Ainsley was dead tired from gymnastics, so slept the full night in her own bed and we were back in our routine. The kids have been happy to be back in school and see their friends and I have enjoyed catching up with friends. Tomorrow Khalif comes for a visit, so that will be lots of fun for sure :o).

No comments: