Friday, March 25, 2016

Maui

What a great break from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives!  Mom and Dad came to relieve us for an entire week and we fully enjoyed it.  A very big thank you to them :o).
I had one request from Ryan that he not take a work call.  I didn't care if he did e-mail but that seemed reasonable for someone on vacation.  Well, he took a call at the airport before we left and then about 60 seconds after we landed and my blood was boiling.  I reminded him oh so kindly that I had a problem with him working on our vacation.  So, we (I) decided he should leave his phone at the condo during the day to avoid the temptation to work and it was great (not sure if it was great for him, but I think it was a healthy thing to do).  Of course, the rental car place was late to pick us up at the airport and was calling from a California number and he wouldn't answer it (because he didn't want to take a work call) until they called 4 times in a row...what are the odds that someone in Hawaii would have a California number?  I am glad it all worked out and finally went on our merry way.
We did our usual grocery shopping on the way to the condo and then sat by the pool.  We managed to find lots of goodies at the store....things we never eat and it was such a treat.  But, now we are both trying to work off the extra weight we gained!
We had a couple little smell issues with our room (smelled like mold) and our car that smelled like pot.  We got a new room and car and then it was smooth sailing.  We spent several days at the beach, just doing nothing.  Well, we did body surf when we got too hot, but I did a lot of sleeping and reading and Ryan read the 3rd book in the Maze Runner series.  There were a few new things we did that we hadn't done before....we hiked the lava flow trail, tried surfing and went to Molokini with our friends, Mark and Jen, from Livermore (they just happened to be there at the same time).


Surfing was great!  I was a bit worried it was like paddle boarding...Ryan can't seem to figure out how to balance on those, but with the force from the wave and stability of the board, it was pretty easy for both of us.  We went back later that day to try by ourselves, but the wind picked up and it was really tricky.  I bought one of those cases for my phone and we got a couple of videos, but for some reason I can't seem to upload them on this site right now.  Maybe I will try later.





Molokini was freezing!  Our tour was at 7:30 in the morning and the water was cold.  The concentration of fish was not like Hanauma Bay, which I was expecting, so it seemed a little boring, but we did see an eel and finished the trip off at the Turtle cleaning station which made it all worth it!  It was amazing to swim with the turtles....there were several of them in this particular spot and my phone did pretty darn good under water!

Oh and I almost forgot, we were at Little Beach on Sunday in the late afternoon when they have a big party and it was starting to get really busy and a lot crazy, so we didn't stay for long.  The path to get there was quite treacherous because the sand had washed away.  The beach was pretty quiet all week until Sunday!


No comments: