Thursday, September 7, 2017

First day of school


The first day of school was momumental!  It was the greatest solar eclipse in a really long time.  Of course, I didn’t have it together enough to purchase the special glasses and by the time I started looking, they were sold out, EVERYWHERE.  Some people were crazy enough to buy the paper/plastic glasses for $50 but I decided to make a pinhole projector instead.  The school purchased them for the kids, so they had an amazing view with their special glasses.  
Reggie is the big man on campus, 8th grade, yikes!  He got his schedule and was so bummed out about having theater/acting again (he had it in 7th grade) and asked if I could fix it.  He put in for stagecraft, but didn’t get it.  I told him that if it bothered him that much, he should go and talk to the Vice Principle to see if she was able to make a change.  It would be more effective coming from him and not me, so I encouraged him to express his disappointment.  He walked to the school and she was in a meeting, so he went back and talked with her and that night, I got an e-mail that requested he pick up his new schedule before school started on Monday!  Way to go Reggie….those types of interactions are fairly uncomfortable for him and I’m glad he sucked it up and obviously was very happy about the outcome.
 Ainsley started 6th grade which is middle school at their school and Khalif 2nd grade.  They all seemed ready and really enjoyed their first day.

I went and had brunch with the moms!  We were all so happy to have a little freedom back and peace and quiet.  There was a group sitting across from us with their special glasses and I kept waiting for it to get dark and it never did!   The group got up and left and I asked everyone why they left and they said it was over.  I missed the whole thing!  It was less than impressive, but I did throw up my pinhole projector and saw a partial eclipse.  I still don’t understand why it didn’t get dark at all.



No comments: