Monday, June 20, 2011

First week of summer!

Well, life is never boring here. It seems one child gets better and then another has an issue. We got a little education last week about MRSA :o(. Our foster child had what looked like a pimple on his calf last Sunday and it was pretty sensitive and got a bit bigger on Monday. I have had staff in the past and suspected that is what it might be, so I knew not to wait. His mom called that morning and I mentioned it to her and she told me he had the same thing last year. The doctor agreed it was a skin infection and I told him he had this before and he looked in his chart and saw that it was MRSA. He prescribed antibiotics and sent us on our way. What he didn’t tell me was that it is highly contagious! My sister told me that 2 days later after bathing the kids in the same water, lathering sunscreen over the wound and then on my kids, etc. We didn’t even put a band aid on it! There’s some mixed and really concerning info. out there about MRSA, but I talked to the kids pediatrician and she made me feel a lot better. So far, we are all in the clear and we are being much more cautious now, so hopefully, the kids strong immune systems (after having all the illness this year, they should never get sick again!) will be able to fight it off. They have also spent a lot of time in the pool this week, swim lessons and 2 swim play dates and the chlorine is good for killing bacteria :o).

It has been a bit stressful, but we’ve managed to have some fun on our first week of summer break.

Enjoying the pool at the Williams:
Swinging at the park...fighting over who gets to push:

Who knew I had such balloon skills, with Reggie's help of course!

We've had this strange jet black squirrel that comes by every now and then. It is so weird that I just had to take a picture:



We also have been doing some chores. With everyone home all day, the house gets out of control pretty quickly. We had a HUGE sock pile that needed folding, so we spent one morning folding them. Usually they do the socks all by themselves, but it was a little overwhelming, so I agreed to assist. We divided the socks into piles based on whose they were and Ryan was the winner with 29! We folded 87 socks and our little sock folding became a math lesson. Once we counted everyone's socks, Reggie added them up and then we divided by 3 (to see how much money we were all going to get- $.10 per pair). Reggie was a bit disappointed to get only $2.90. I explained to him that it would have benefitted them more if I were not involved and we divided by 2 and he could see how much more money he would have had. He always folds many more than Ainsley, so we talked through that and he realized he probably would have gotten around $6.00. Hopefully, this math lesson was enough to take me out of the sock equation!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

math lessons already? great! just like at the store quizzes everyday lots of lessons learned.

i never thought you were a balloonatic trina! fun stuff.

love mom