Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Phone fiasco

I have been irritated with Apple for quite some time and the thought of being out from under that empire was becoming more and more appealing.  It all started when I tried to update the blog a few months ago and I couldn't transfer my pictures from my phone to my computer because they weren't there...I could see them, but they weren't really on my phone.  After spending much time with Apple, I was told the phone decides where the pictures go, either straight to the cloud or hard saved on your phone.  I told him that was ridiculous and there should be some sort of setting and he agreed.  So, the problem was, how do I easily transfer them from the cloud to my phone and there was no easy answer.  One by one is what he told me and he could tell I was very unhappy with this solution. 
Then Ryan blew out a candle and the wax landed right on my phone speaker, so I couldn't take calls and hear anything when it was up to my ear.  I scraped it out a few times, but no luck.  Now, in the meantime, Ryan dropped his work phone and shattered the screen.  They sent him a new one and he thought it would be nice to get the screen fixed and give it to me since he had a 7 and I still had a 6. The lady at Verizon was hopeful that the 7 would fix my picture problem because the 6 was so bad that there is a lawsuit (which I asked how you become part of!). So, the day came to transfer everything and after a few hours my new phone said out of storage.  OMG Ryan didn't check the capacity of the phone and it was 32GB and mine was 64GB.  I deleted a lot of stuff off my phone, but that wasn't going to work, so I transferred everything back and decided to fix the speaker problem by melting the wax out.  It worked perfectly and I could hear crystal clear, but Siri started to act up later that day and died shortly after because she lives in the speaker by your ear.  Of course, that makes sense...all this time I talk to her from the bottom of my phone and she never lived there.  Unfortunately, I fried her and since I dictate 90% of the time, my phone was now useless to me.  Good thing it was time for an upgrade anyway.
Now, we had just added Reggie's phone to the insurance plan to fix the many problems with his 6 (come to find out later that his claim would likely have been denied), so he was eyeing the 7.  We agreed that if he paid for the screen repair, he could have it.  We have had many issues with my phone and his phone being connected, especially when setting up a new phone, so I found a place in settings where I could delete the 7 from my account and that seemed like the easiest way to insure we wouldn't have issues again.  This locked the phone...there was no message that said this was going to happen!  It took hours and research to finally unlock it and the boys were not so happy with me.  This was a very frustrating weekend and the next day we had a pool party for Ainsley's trampoline and it happened to be right by the Verizon store.  I had a Pina Colada and Ryan said we should leave Ainsley and go get a phone.  So, I was a little altered when I decided to ditch apple and go with the Google Pixel.  The salesperson had both phones and was steering me a little in that direction because she loves Android.  Well, long story short, the phone was great in many ways but there were a lot of little nuances that I had to work around and I found it very annoying.  I took it in to Verizon after about 5 days and had all my questions and the guy helping me was navigating much like me and I asked him what phone he had and he had an Iphone 10.  So, we both scratched our heads why certain things worked that way, but he was able to find a way to make everything work.  There's always a fix if you download an App!  And, it glitched every now and then as well.  Everyone else in the family has Apple and I wouldn't be able to find their phones, do Facetime or share their plugs.  Anyway, I had a bad day with the phone and it went back.  I got the 8 and honestly was annoyed going back to the old way of doing things.  I probably would have been just fine keeping it, but I was done.  I uploaded some new Apps on my Apple based on my great experiences with Google.  Now, my pictures are backed up by them and there's no fee and I can mass download to my computer.  And, guess what????  My missing pictures showed up, so now I can update the blog from Christmas through March (not really looking forward to that, but so excited to have my pictures back!!!).  Reggie also found the setting on the phone that allows you to choose where the pictures live, so the Apple guy was wrong unless the recent update fixed that problem! 

No comments: