Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pride Training

Last year, Ryan and I went through the process of looking into International adoption. After gathering all the info., we decided it didn’t make sense for us. We actually felt like we were in a good place with our own kids and didn’t need/want to rock the boat. Life was good and we were pretty comfortable in our routine. Until….this January when I had a dream about adopting a baby and then the following Sunday, we had a message on the Sanctity of Life (all the ways to help children and preserve life). It felt like it was a very clear message from God that we should move forward with something. I talked to Ryan about it and he wasn’t so sure. I have to admit that I wasn’t really excited about the idea either because life was good, the kids are getting older and easier and I didn’t really want to take on more responsibility, especially with my daily back pain. We prayed about it and sat with it for a few weeks and decided to look into it a little further. We went to an informational meeting about Foster care and again felt led in that direction, but were having a hard time with the concept. Ryan wanted to straight adopt and I wanted to foster only. So, we decided to go through the training and see where we came out on the other side. It was an amazing 4 week class, every Saturday this month for 6 hours (a big THANK YOU to our friends who watched Reggie and Ainsley!). God has really changed our hearts and we’re now excited for this new adventure. We ended up not being in either category, adopt or foster, but something called concurrent planning. That is where we work to reconcile the family and if the parents can’t get it together, we consider adoption. Reggie and Ainsley have been talking about getting a new playmate….I’m not sure they fully understand what that means. I’m having more and more conversations to prepare them to welcome a child from newborn to age 5. We have some paperwork to finish up and CPR classes and then we’ll be certified. I know God already has a plan and it will be exciting to see what it is :o).

1 comment:

Tonya Doman said...

Wow! Very exciting and scary at the same time, I'm sure. How lucky the child will be to be placed in your care... what an amazing way to give back!
Props to you guys!!!